Become a Soul
Hanbi Kim, Yujin Lee / Republic of Korea
Describe a marginalized person you choose.
The person’s major condition you are trying to deal with.
1. In October 2017, a grandmother collapsed from acerebral hemorrhage, damaging her left brain
and paralyzing her right side. Communication and mobility are impossible and only possible with
the left body and eyes. She can't live without a care-giver, and still live in a nursing home.
2. Grandma has lived believing in the God for many years. The grandmother, who had no one to
lean on, worshiped God, climbing up the prayer house of a deep mountain valley every day.
After the accident, the grandma has not been able to go to church for 2 years.
Describe the design intent for the chosen person.
1. We created a space for the grandma to meet God whom she really relied on.It is a space that can be felt as a free soul away from an immovable body.Furthermore, it is a space to dream of an ideal world of the soul and gain hope and comfort.
2. Focus on what's invisible. It can let grandma feel as a soul away from her immobile body.We created a sacred space where grandma can feel invisible things and focus on something spiritual.It is totally different from the one-dimensional things you perceive through vision.
It is a space where the soul can be freed from an uncomfortable body.
Furthermore, it is a safe place to dream of an ideal world of the soul and gain hope and comfort.
“Concentrate on invisible”
It can let grandma feel as a soul away from her immobile body.
We created a sacred space where grandma can feel invisible things and focus on something spiritual.
It is totally different from the one-dimensional things you perceive through vision.
1.“Concentrate on Invisible”
- The sanctity that can be felt by an out-of-visual sense.
- Temperature of Light, Flow of Air, Sacred Sound
2.Create a space where invisible elements can be freely implemented and controlled from external elements.
- The outer wall of solid wood square is a symbol of the real world.
- Transparency, the circular layer of light inner fabric of reflective material, is a symbol of the spiritual world in contrast to it.
- Gather and rise in the light of the centripetal point
- Light represents the ideal world where the soul comes to an end, and the curves of cloth appear to rise towards it.
- By increasing number of entry points by 1.5 meters, it induced a natural entry into a spiritual space from the real world.
- A grandmother focuses entirely on herself and becomes a space that exists as 'I'. → Limit the outside eye to the height
of the cloth.
4.The sequence of movement
- Gradually place the same wood texture as the outer finishing material and face a space surrounded by cloth. Through
this process, it induced a natural transition between reality and spiritual space.
- When grandma went out after experiencing the space, it could continue the spiritual experience in the face of the light
that showed inside the resolution and fell along the layer.
5.Things that can be felt by hearing and touch
- To pierce the ceiling along the inner layer so that air and light enter the cloth.
- Depending on the flow of air, the fabric moves, and accordingly the light is reflected and gives sacred vitality to the
- In the center of the main space, a chime bell installed to transmit sound to the space through the wind of nature.
1. 3040mm*4540mm wide oak panel
2. steel pipe chaime bell (height 200mm*width 96mm*THK 5mm)
3. welded steel plate (120mm*300mm, transfer the movements to inner space)
4. chime-bell connection wire to roof
5. curtain is holding by hook screw put in the roof
6. white silk satin fabric
7. wide oak panel (max height is 2960mm)
8. dark tone of oak bar (60mm*60mm THK)
9. Anchor to fix oak wood frame. Also need screw to complete